Wednesday, January 25, 2017

How does hotel management or employees feel about the legalization of marijuana as it pertains to operations, whether that's housekeeping or marketing?

We're still going to drug test people, and if you test positive in a jurisdiction where the law permits (North Carolina is a tobacco-producing state and to protect smokers, North Carolina law prohibits discrimination on the basis of "off-duty use of lawful products", but I don't see North Carolina legalizing marijuana anytime soon), we're still going to fire you. 

And if you smoke a joint on the job or show up to work stoned, that's on-duty use and you're meat on a hook, the same as if we caught you drinking on the job or if you show up to work inebriated . . .

Image result for smoking weed

Hello?  This is 2017. Back in the '80's, before Len Bias, and Nancy Reagan's "Just say no" crusade; smoking grass was about as mainstream as it ever got, but not anymore. 

What's going to have to change before we classify it with off-duty alcohol use and take a more laissez-faire approach to it isn't legalization per se, it's lawful sources of supply. I don't like the kind of people you'd have to deal with nowadays to get the stuff, and if you deal with such people, you've got the wrong kind of people for friends . . .

Personally, I support the legalization of marijuana, but that doesn't mean I'd use it myself or want it around me, that I want it in my workplace, or that I want my employees floating through the day with a buzz on . . .

Originally appeared on Quora

No comments:

Post a Comment